Monday 11 July 2016

Children's Book Illustration

Since March I have been doing an online course called Make Art That Sells, with the hope of improving my portfolio for freelance illustration work. It's been really fun responding to various briefs and challenging my digital skills. I'm still not sure I have entirely found 'my style', but I will keep on drawing, filling sketchbooks and developing as an artist. This month is the last brief, after which I will be updating my website and contacting some agencies!
So far I have made a cover for a colouring book, designed a Christmas ornament and illustrated a tarot card.
Last month's brief was to draw characters for a children's book, based on vicunas. So fun!

Vicuna illustration

1920s colouring book for grown ups

The Moon tarot card

I think the colouring book assignment was my favourite, I absolutely loved drawing women's faces and hair, so I will keep on trying to improve my portrait skills. Next up is flowers and lettering, here are my sketches so far:

brush lettering

brush lettering practice

brush lettering

It's been a good opportunity to practice brush lettering, after the ace workshop I attended with Artsy Nibs. I would really recommend Joyce's classes, really fun and good value for money!



No comments: